1.08.2008

Strong Self, Real Self

Carl Rogers on "Being Real"

There is basically nothing to be afraid of when I present myself as I am.
When I can come forth non-defensively, without armor, just me, when I can accept the fact that I have many deficiencies, many faults, make lots of mistakes, am often ignorant when I should be knowledgeable, often prejudiced when I should be open minded, often have feelings that are not justified by the circumstances--then I can be much more real.

And when I can come out wearing no armor, making no effort to be different from what I am, I learn so much more, even from criticism and hostility, and I am so much more relaxed, and I get so much closer to people.

My willingness to be vulnerable brings forth so much more real feeling from other people. I enjoy life much more when I am not defensive, not hiding behind a facade, just trying to be and express the real me.

~Rogers, Freedom to Learn, p. 229

No comments: