A few months ago I noticed that Joanna's left eye wanders when she looks up from something she's working on. It normally happens when she is reading or coloring, playing with a toy, or watching tv. She'll look away from that thing to look at you and that darn left eye drifts inward. At first Josh and I kidded around to ourselves that she was just going to be a goofy looking kid. Aren't we such nice parents?! But then we thought that we'd better get it checked out.
Joanna went to the optometrist about a month ago and come to find out, she is very far-sighted! It turns out that she's been compensating her whole life and we never knew it! If it wasn't for the lazy eye thing to indicate a problem, we wouldn't have known to correct anything. Joanna has always been extremely coordinated and conscious of where she is in space. She knows many numbers and letters by sight, she knows her colors, animals, etc. so I never even imagined that she had a vision problem. Plus Josh and I both have 20/20 vision.
The glasses should correct her vision after wearing them for a few years. We picked them up this evening and so far she has no interest in them at all. In fact when the optometrist assistant put the glasses on her for the first time Joanna promptly removed them and said, "No thanks!" So I guess we'll start out by having her wear them 10-15 minutes at a time and then build up from there. I'm just wondering how long these glasses are going to last in our house. Jaclyn has already tried ripping them off of Joanna's face a few times and Joanna needs to learn how to handle the glasses carefully. Hmmm, I'm glad that we have good insurance right now! We might be going through a dozen pairs the first year. ;-)
5 comments:
wow! this is a big deal, I'm glad you noticed it when you did. I'm sure she looks ADORABLE in her little glasses, good luck keeping them on her...I'm sure there will be many more blog posts ahead with the same topic...;)
I MISS YOU JOLIE.
ok. just had to get that out.
our nephew just got glasses, too. he's 3 1/2. he was always standing RIGHT in front of the tv and didn't really seem to focus on anybody when you tried talking to him, among other things.
the glasses seem to be helping out.
i bet she looks super cute in them!
Oh man, I bet that is going to be hard to get her to keep them on, I am picturing trying to keep them on my own kids! I bet she is a cutie in them though!
Oh, wow! I can only imagine how hard it would be to convince Seara to wear glasses ... and then to keep Elijah and Enoch from grabbing them off her face??! Impossible! GOOD LUCK!
ps. I'm so glad you figured this out, by the way. Phew!!
oh, man I bet that is tough. I can't imagine what it would be like trying to keep glasses on Amie. It is a good thing this was caught early. Good Luck!
Post a Comment