3.12.2012

definition of a REAL superhero

What is a superhero? Someone who possesses superhuman strength? Someone who protects the public by defeating the villian hurling them into outer space or binding them with a spider web? Someone who wears a mask, cape, and tights to conceal their identity?

Maybe when we were 8.

With age and life experience I have learned what a superhero really means. It is someone who can swoop in when you need them the most and help you with the big problems as well as the small, everyday things. They make you feel important. And loved.

Jayden has been in a wear-my-spiderman-costume-everywhere-all-day-every-day phase. In fact he wore it to the hospital the day we had our ultrasound. All the radiology techs got a kick out of seeing spiderman at "the office" that day. Last week--I think Wed. afternoon-- a spiderman-clad Jayden noticed me sprawled out on the couch. I was tired and dying for a nap. He came up to me and asked, "Mommy, you're tired. Can I use the vacuum for you?"

Oh. My. Gosh. I was blown away. I thought to myself, I need to write a letter to all those big brain psychologists who study the Nature/Nurture debate and cite this example in favor of the Nature side because I know he has not learned this skill set (the ability to discern others' needs) from...eh hem...the other male member of the household. My husband is always happy to help in any way I need, and he provides a ton of help with the house and kids, but, as it is with 99% of the male population, we need to ask.
Without being asked Jayden got out the vacuum, plugged it in, and proceeded to do this:



And then later that evening while I was making dinner Jayden asked if he could help me cook! He even ran and got a chef's hat to wear for the occasion. ;-)










And this, my friends, is the true definition of a superhero. A man who steps in and does the cooking and cleaning without asking!

2 comments:

Sharalea said...

LOVE. This is awesome. Jolie, you are doing a wonderful job as a Mother, and look what awesome little people you are raising! What a great little man (lucky future wifey!) :)

Lore Smart said...

SO Darn ADORABLE!!! You've got yourself a TRUE superhero and Mama's BOY. LOVE THIS POST!